We generate lots of content for our clients and we know how difficult it can first seem to create 3+ social media posts per week. However! It’s not as hard as it first seems. We have a method we use time and time again and it involves Content Pillars!
Content pillars represent relevant topics for your target audiences. Each of your pillars could be comprised of different types of content such as blog posts, videos, images or even something as simple as your tweets. Content pillars are really the foundation for your social content.
Why You Need Content Pillars
The benefits of developing your own content pillars are three-fold:
- Organisation – Instead of just creating content on-the-fly, distinct content pillars help you create a calendar that covers the necessary topics for your brand.
- Targeting – Defined pillars serve as a guide for crafting specific content for specific people (hint: so you don’t ignore part of your target audience).
- Ideas – Developing fresh content is difficult, but content pillars automatically give you relevant and specific topics to include.
Content Pillar Ideas:
- Pictures of you – I know, you don’t like being in front of the camera! It’s the same for me! But for most small businesses there is just no way around this – part of building that know-like-trust factor is showing your face now and again! Aim for a picture of you at every nine posts.
- Social proof – this can include testimonials or show how customers are using your products/services.
- Personal – this is where we get to know more about you as a person! You can be as selective as you want about what you share but your personality, likes, interests and experiences are the things that make you relatable and allow your audience to connect with you.
- Your work/behind the scenes- Show your following what you do and how you do it!
- Education or inspiration – teach them something simple that would be of interest to them. This can be as simple as a quick-tip related to your expertise! Inspiration can be a motivation quote or even just something that will make them laugh (and hopefully share!).
Write out some example posts to use that fall under these content pillar categories and see how much fresh content you can generate!